Ogunquit Memorial Library, Ogunquit
Categories: Architectural Buildings, Libraries, Traveler Resources, Tourist Spots
The Ogunquit Memorial Library is the public library of Ogunquit, Maine. It is located at 166 Shore Road, in an architecturally distinguished Romanesque Revival built in 1897 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. It was a gift to the town by Mrs. George Conarroe in honor of her husband.The library is open daily except Sunday during the summer (May to October), and Wednesday-Saturday except holidays during the off-season.Architecture and historyThe Ogunquit Memorial Library is located on the west side of Shore Road in central Ogunquit, in an area with many seaside resort accommodations. It is a rectangular building, fashioned out randomly course fieldstone, with a hip roof and a projecting gabled entrance. At one corner of the entrance stands an engaged circular staircase tower with a conical roof above a molded cornice. Eyebrow dormers project from some of the roof elevations. The interior is well-preserved, its original features including a large fireplace that was at first its sole heat source.The library was built in 1897 to a design by Philadelphia architect John M. Burns, and is one of the finest examples of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture in southern Maine. The building was enlarged in 1914 to a design by Henry A. Macomb, also of Philadelphia; the quality of design and execution make it virtually impossible to distinguish the addition from the original. The library was the gift of Philadelphia resident Mrs. George Conarroe in honor of her husband.Choose to start, finish, or center your holiday on a trip to Ogunquit Memorial Library by using our Ogunquit vacation trip planner.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
An impressive historical site. A must see for library fans. Small and well ordered complete with a card catalog. Books on Ogunquit and it's history rest on a table for easy access without needing to s... read more »
This is not a county run library, but is privately owned and operated. We stop to see if the inside was as quaint as the outside, and found it to be. There is a Hugh fireplace in the inside, but we we... read more »
What a beautiful building with such a friendly, cozy feel. Dog friendly too. So wonderful that this former home was donated to this purpose.
Unable to display map at this time. Please try again later.
Are you the owner of this business? Click here for promotion tips.