Trip Planner : USA / Arkansas / Little Rock / Museums / The Witt Stephens Jr. Central Arkansas Nature Center
The Witt Stephens Jr. Central Arkansas Nature Center, Little Rock
Categories: Specialty Museums, Museums
The Witt Stephens Jr. Central Arkansas Nature Center, whose mission is introducing the public to the importance of conservation education in Arkansas, is the fourth nature center established by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission (AGFC). The center opened on December 17, 2008, and is funded by the Amendment 75 Conservation Sales Tax, allowing the center to provide free admission.Make The Witt Stephens Jr. Central Arkansas Nature Center part of your personalized Little Rock itinerary using our Little Rock itinerary planner.
Highlights of the center include:
• Large indoor aquariums filled with native fish from several of Arkansas’s natural divisions.
• An exhibit timeline sharing the natural resource history of Arkansas and the role of the Arkansas Game and Fish commission in 100 years of conservation success.
• An extensive collection of fishing lures and tackle showcasing many early Arkansas lure and tackle manufacturers.
• A theater presentation provides information on many areas of research and education with which the AGFC is involved.
• The center features sculptures, photography, and other pieces of art inside and outside the building.
• A geocache is also located on the grounds.
• More than 100 bird species have been seen along the riverfront nearby. A wildlife area provides excellent viewing from a glass wall within the building.
• The William E. “Bill” Clark Presidential Park Wetlands, just east of the center, offer more fish and wildlife viewing opportunities.
• The center is surrounded by native plant beds featuring many plants that are beneficial to wildlife.
• Education staff provides specialized school field trips, teacher workshops, and public programs throughout the year. A classroom and administrative offices are located across a breezeway from the exhibit hall.
• Visitors may also purchase nature-themed items in the gift shop. Arkansas authors are featured, with subjects ranging from hiking trails to fishing.
• The center is one level, providing easy access for strollers or those with limited mobility. A shaded breezeway with picnic tables and benches offers a place for viewing the river.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
The Witt Stephen's, Jr. Nature Center in Little Rock is a great place to visit while on President Clinton Drive. It is fairly close to the Discovery Center and together, they provide an afternoon of f... read more »
both live and stuffed animals are on display. Good film on Arkansas is shown. good display for kids. Shows the various regions of the state well. Very enjoyable both for kids and adults.
Great nature center that captures the many opportunities to hunt and fish in Arkansas. Also great bird feeder location just outside a big window that had a lot of bird activity when I visited. Educati... read more »
This nature center is small, but it is a great place downtown for kids. They have fish, turtles, bird watching, and even a little alligator. Best of all, it's free!
Small nature center for education purposes. Super small to be exact.
Spectacular Arkansas Game & Fish museum in the River Market of downtown Little Rock.
Unable to display map at this time. Please try again later.
Are you the owner of this business? Click here for promotion tips.