Trip Planner USA  /  Michigan  /  East Tawas  /  Historic Sites  /  Tawas Point Lighthouse

Tawas Point Lighthouse, East Tawas

Categories: Lighthouses, Tourist Spots
Inspirock Rating:
4.7/5 based on 100+ reviews on the web
Tawas Point Light is located in the Tawas Point State Park off Tawas Bay in Lake Huron in Baldwin Township in Northern Michigan.HistoryIn 1850, Congress appropriated $5,000 for the construction of a lighthouse. In 1852, construction started, and the lighthouse was commissioned in 1853. After the lighthouse was built, many problems were encountered. Shifting sands caused the point to be extended by nearly a mile. The original light was a 5th Order Fresnel lens, later upgraded when the building was replaced.In 1867, the Inspector of the lighthouse said that the lighthouse was wearing down to the point where they should consider renovating it. The Lighthouse Board ignored his request to put more money in the lighthouse because they had bigger problems at hand in Ottawa Point. The waves caused sand build-up by the Point, which added almost a mile, more of land. The lighthouse was so far inland that mariners were unable to see the lighthouse's light. To add to the problem this lighthouse was known for its dim light. With all these problems combined, it caused a shipwreck from Captain Olmstead's schooner "Dolphin". He blamed the lighthouse stating that it was too dim to see the light. This caused the Lighthouse board to reconsider their option at renovating or rebuilding a new one. In 1875 Congress approved a $30,000 amount for a brand new lighthouse. They finished building the lighthouse sometime in 1877.It was originally known as Ottawa Point. The name was officially changed to Tawas Point in 1902. The point is a substantial hazard to navigation. Additionally, because it is tucked behind the point, Tawas Bay is an ideal shelter from storms, wind and waves out of the north and northeast. The point juts out into Lake Huron, and has been getting much larger over time. A map is available, which shows the accretion. The original light was begun in 1852, and completed in 1853. The light was fueled at various times by lard oil, then kerosene, and the current light is of course now electric. This is the second lighthouse on the point.
Use our East Tawas trip itinerary planner to visit Tawas Point Lighthouse on your trip to East Tawas, and learn what else travelers and our writers recommend seeing nearby.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
going to
read all reviews »
  • Nice park and a nice looking lighthouse. We would have enjoyed going inside but it's closed on Mondays! 
  • Many interesting trails to walk with deer and other wildlife. The lighthouse itself is spectacular. This is a beautiful area in the thumb of Michigan, farm country. 
  • Breath taking and a gem in the Great lakes - we loved it and all the parks and water in the area - they make this a must for the west side of Michigan 
Nearby Attractions
Visit for 3​h
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 2​h 30​m
Visit for 3​h
Visit for 2​h 30​m