Trip Planner Europe  /  UK  /  England  /  Merseyside  /  Wirral  /  West Kirby  /  Sightseeing  /  Caldy Hills

Caldy Hills, West Kirby

Categories: Landmarks, Tourist Spots
Inspirock Rating:
4.9/5 based on 40+ reviews on the web
Caldy Hill is an area of heath and woodland on a sandstone outcrop on the Wirral Peninsula. The land was bought by Hoylake District Council between 1897 and 1974. The village of Caldy is nearby.Including Stapledon Woods, the whole area covers 250acre of which 13acre are owned by the National Trust. The hill rises to 260 ft where there is a view-finder. From here there are fine views over the estuary of the River Dee to Hilbre Island and the Irish Sea. More distant views range to Snowdonia in the west and Blackpool and the Pennines in the east, more rarely as far as the Lake District to the north, and extremely rarely to the Isle of Man in the north-west.The Mariners' Beacon stands nearby on the site of an old windmill, which was missed by mariners after it was destroyed by a gale in 1839. Consequently, the Trustees of the Liverpool Docks erected the Mariners' Beacon in 1841.Calday Grange Grammar School is situated on Caldy Hill.
Put Caldy Hills into our West Kirby travel itinerary planner to see other points of interest to visit during your vacation in West Kirby.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
going to
read all reviews »
  • One of the most beautiful places to walk in NW England. Really only suitable for Adults & supervised children as there are some fairly steep paths to be negotiated if you walk/ stroll between West Kir...  read more »
  • Fabulous walk and wonderful views to north wales Dee estuary and great woodland areas looking forward to going again the dogs loved it too beautiful day sun shining simply splendid 
  • A popular place with limited car parking, but the views on a good day are wonderful. Ideal for families to walk along the ridge and popular with dog owners. 
Nearby Attractions
Visit for 1​h
Visit for 4​h
Visit for 30​m
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h
Visit for 2​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h 30​m