Trip Planner Europe  /  UK  /  Scotland  /  Stirlingshire  /  Stirling  /  Historic Sites  /  Mar's Wark

Mar's Wark, Stirling

Categories: Historic Sites, Landmarks, Tourist Spots
Inspirock Rating:
2.6/5 based on 20+ reviews on the web
Mar's Wark is a ruined building in Stirling built 1570–1572 by John Erskine, Regent of Scotland and Earl of Mar, and now in the care of Historic Scotland. Mar intended the building for the principal residence of the Erskine family in Stirling, whose chief had become hereditary keeper of the nearby royal Stirling Castle where the princes of Scotland were schooled. Wark is a Scots language word for work, and here it means building. The house is also called "Mar's Lodging."DescriptionThe building fronts the kirk yard of the Holy Rude Church and sits at the head of the processional route to Stirling Castle above the town's tollbooth. The windowless front façade survives lacking its upper storey, access is possible to the first floor. The basement vaults have doors and windows to the street and may have been intended for shops.The façade is nearly symmetrical around a gatehouse frontispiece with two polygonal towers. Liberal carved stone decoration is based on European print-sources or decorative arts with royal and Erskine heraldry, and wry inscriptions. A motif of the letter "A" with the earl's coronet points to a variant version of the family name, as "Areskine," or possibly the initial of Mar's countess, Annabella Murray. Traditionally it has been alleged that the carvings include stones re-cycled from Cambuskenneth Abbey.
Plan your visit to Mar's Wark and a wealth of other attractions, well-known and undiscovered, using our Stirling trip builder.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
going to
read all reviews »
  • Both the house facade and the cemetery behind it have great views in every direction, particularly east to the Ochill Hills and the Wallace Monument. A good stop on the Back Walk as you make your way ...  read more »
  • From Stirling Castle and town society at Abbey, located next to the cemetery of the Holy Rood Church in the middle of the Castle seems 16-like dwelling of the 17th century. From the streets to fence in saddened
    show original
  • The Mar's Wark is located next to the Church of the Holy Rude and it is almost obligatory to pass through it during the ascent--or descent-the Castle. In ruins to say the least, of the old House of Erskine remains only the imposing façade on the street.
    show original
  • An interesting little piece of history, there's a board out the front giving details of what's happened to Mar's Wark through the history of Stirling. Most people walk past after looking at the empty windows, but it's possible to go up to the other side of the walls and see where the outlines of the rooms are. The building was originally built by the 1st Earl of Mar with some of the stones coming from Cambuskenneth Abbey and even sports some scary gargoyles!
Nearby Attractions
Visit for 3​h
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 2​h 30​m