Trip Planner Europe  /  UK  /  England  /  Yorkshire  /  South Yorkshire  /  Sheffield  /  Historic Sites  /  Bishops' House Museum

Bishops' House Museum, Sheffield

Categories: Historic Sites, Specialty Museums, Museums, Tourist Spots
Inspirock Rating:
4.8/5 based on 60 reviews on the web
Bishops' House is a half-timbered house in the Norton Lees district of the City of Sheffield, England. It was built c. 1500 and is located on the southern tip of Meersbrook Park. It is one of the three surviving timber-framed houses in the city (the others being the Old Queen's Head and Broom Hall).It is known as Bishops' House because it was said to have been built for two brothers, John and Geoffrey Blythe, both of whom became Bishops. There is, however, no evidence that they ever lived in this house—the first known resident being William Blythe, a farmer and scythe manufacturer, who was living here in 1627.Samuel Blyth was the last of the family to live in the house, dying in 1753, after which his sons sold the house to a William Shore. The Blyth family subsequently moved to Birmingham. Notable descendents were Benjamin Blyth, Sir Arthur Blyth and Benjamin Blyth II. The house was subsequently let to a tenant farmer and his labourer, at which point the house was sub-divided into two dwellings.In 1886 ownership passed to the Corporation (Sheffield City Council) and various recreation department employees lived in the house until 1974.It is a Grade II* listed building and has been open as a museum since 1976, following a renovation funded by English Heritage and Sheffield City Council. The Sheffield Galleries and Museums Trust, managed the building for some years until April 2011, when management of public opening, on behalf of the buildings' owner Sheffield City Council, was conferred to the Friends of Bishops' House. The building is open to the public on Saturdays and Sundays between 10am and 4pm. In April 2012 Sheffield Galleries and Museums Trust exited from provision of educational visits and the Friends of Bishops' House began opening the house to schools also. The displays in the house have had some recent small changes but are still curated by Museums Sheffield. The Friends of Bishops' House is a registered Charity and Ltd company, run entirely by volunteers. The house contains exhibitions on life in the 16th and 17th centuries with two rooms decorated in Jacobean Style.
A visit to Bishops' House Museum represents just the start of the adventure when you use our Sheffield trip itinerary builder to plot your vacation.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
going to
read all reviews »
  • We love Bishops House. Spent a wet morning there sheltering from the rain. Colouring in. Dressing up. Ticking things on the picture trail. Not a load of exhibits, but what there is is well cared for a...  read more »
  • Popped in after walking round park staff nice and friendly helpful and polite loved the history of the house will visit again 
  • An enthusiastic ex archaeology university lecturer explained the history of the 16th century building and its occupants, right up until recent times where the City Council were to close it, but local ...  read more »
  • Historic timber framed building. Open to the public thanks to volunteers. Be sure to check opening times. Located at the top of Meersbrook Park you can also enjoy a walk through the park and excellent views overlooking the city.
  • Free museum in Meersbrook Park. Volunteer run and although it's a little dated in parts, this is a small Tudor house which has some interesting displays on the home and local social history. Children's activities upstairs include some colouring in and dressing up.
  • Lovely place before or after a long walk in the park, particularly on a Saturday
  • I love it because it's tells me what year it builds
Nearby Attractions
Visit for 2​h
Visit for 2​h
Visit for 2​h
Visit for 2​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 2​h 30​m