Trip Planner Europe  /  Russia  /  Northwestern District  /  St. Petersburg  /  Historic Sites  /  Alexander Nevsky Lavra

Alexander Nevsky Lavra, St. Petersburg

Categories: Churches, Tourist Spots
Inspirock Rating:
4.6/5 based on 15 reviews on the web
Playful and colorful from the outside, elegant and ornate on the inside, Alexander Nevsky Lavra carries a wealth of historical significance and beauty. Founded in 1710, the massive monastery originally featured a wood construction completed in 1712. The current version was built in 1724, and in 1750 the institution was raised to the rank of a lavra, the most senior grade of Russian Orthodox churches. The monastery bears many architectural styles, including two Baroque churches and a majestic Neoclassical cathedral. When you tour the grounds, do not miss its famed cemetery, the final resting place of many famous Russians, including Tchaikovsky, Dostoevsky, and Glinka. Admission to the monastery itself is free but entry to the popular grave sites requires a fee. Put Alexander Nevsky Lavra at the forefront of your travel plans using our St. Petersburg family vacation planner.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
going to
read all reviews »
  • Tours of Russia, visited the 8/10. Into the Church in a magnificent Abbey, and became pious feelings naturally. In the cemetery, many buried artists of Russia, remembering the old knowledge. Is a good place to learn the history of St. Petersburg.
    show original
  • Had read that in the Cathedral was Alexander Nevsky silver coffin, but did not expect me the show that he attended, hundreds of women with headscarf and also some men singing in choir together with the coffin and following at times only a monk uun. Many wept kneeling and sang chants revered to the hero of the war against the Swedish and of the release of them peasants. Simply not me could move from the place. A very special atmosphere. Beside the Cathedral (incredible entry free!) there are two cemeteries where rest Dostoiewsi, Zukovsky, Borodin, Rimski Koszakov, Chaicovsky. It is the cemetery of the masters (100 rubles) and opposite the cemetery of the 18th century (100 rubles) where are Martos, Lomonosov, Voronikhin and otor,
    show original
  • Pretty in there nicely, though not doing a huge impression. Buried in the Cathedral is Holy Orthodox Alexander Nevsky. Location, especially when you're in a side wing of the pop into a small mass for some people. Near the historic cemeteries.
    show original
  • Beautiful serene monastery in the middle of the city. The main church is fantastic.
  • Very beautiful place
  • St. Trjckij Cathedral of the Alexander Nevsky Lavra. Year of erection: 1786 g. Style: Classicism Architect: Ivan Yegorovich Starov construction of the Cathedral began in the life of Peter the first in may 1722, he was made the solemn bookmark. Construction was supervised by architect k. Schwertfeger. By 1730, the Cathedral was elevated to the drum cupola, and after 1730, work went into decline. Field accession to the throne of Anna Ioannovna-have received an order to build the Cathedral, but it architects and change this svâzonaâ razberiha failed. Only after coming to power with the end of Elizaveta Petrovna, 1741, Started prodvižka, and indeed all over again. The structure of Gvertfegerom, had to parse "to soles". Ivan Yegorovich Starov architect Which was entrusted to lead the project November 26 1774 tactfully entered the building of the Cathedral, whose arch decision was made in the format of classicism. In 1786 the construction was completed. 10 September 1790 in day of sacred blagovernogo of Prince Alexander nevskogo Metropolitan Gavriil Petrov lit Temple. In 1847, in the Cathedral of kalorifernoe heating installed and it began to hold worship services in winter. In 1922, in the framework of the programme for the removal of ecclesiastical cennostij of Cathedral was made almost all of the utensils. August 16, 1933 Lenoblispolkom potanovil on the closure of the Cathedral and the transfer of its Politprosvetu under the House of wonders and technological advances. In 1940 in the first half of the building took 1-e district žiličnoe Office Smol′ninskogo district and the Museum of urban sculpture, and the other was a warehouse. In 1956 the Church was returned to believers but on condition that the restoration will be carried out at their expense. September 12, 1957 d. After pervoočerëdnogo repair the Cathedral was lit by mitorpolitom Elevferiem Vorontsov.
    show original
  • An oasis of calm in the bustle of the big city.
    show original
  • Great Lavra! Architecture at the highest level. All very good organized.
    show original
Nearby Attractions
Visit for 2​h 30​m
Visit for 2​h
Visit for 3​h
Visit for 2​h 30​m
Visit for 30​m