Spaso-Preobrazhenskiy Avraamiyev Monastery, Smolensk

Categories: Landmarks, Tourist Spots
Inspirock Rating:
3.7/5 based on 15 reviews on the web
Spaso-Preobrazhenskiy Avraamiyev Monastery is located in Smolensk. Put Spaso-Preobrazhenskiy Avraamiyev Monastery on your schedule, and learn what else deserves a visit by using our Smolensk vacation route planner.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
going to
read all reviews »
  • On the way to the Kremlin walls, where you can climb on them, met the monastery went around the circle. Somehow nothing special and eyes stopped on nothing can, in terms of history and something interesting in this monastery, we don't know. But outwardly the same as architectural thousands throughout Russia.
    show original
  • Transfiguration Avraamievskii monastery in Smolensk (founded in the 13th century) is situated in the historical part of the city on m. zhukova Street on the inner side of the Eastern site of the Smolensk fortress wall. Originally a Monastery founded at this location the first bishop of Ignatius, called Bogorodickim (from the name of a wooden church of the most Holy Theotokos tribulations Riza Provisions). The first Abbot of the monastery, Bishop put the Reverend Abraham, hitherto the rank of Archimandrite. A two-storey stone Spaso-Preobrazhensky Cathedral, extant and is the most important building of the former monastic yard was built at Smolensk merchant tools Boris Piskareva in 1755 year. In the temple there are two throne: on the ground floor in the name of Reverend Abraham, the second-in the name of the Transfiguration. At the same time not far from the Cathedral to the monastery means built another stone refectory Church in the name of introduction in Temple presvjatoj of the Virgin. Also at the monastery erected stone sister enclosure and the House of the Abbot, the territory of the monastery was surrounded by stone wall with several gates, took the triceps tops. During the Patriotic War of 1812 Goda Avraamievskii monastery was badly damaged by enemy cores during the bombardment and storming of the city by the French. On the outskirts of Nikolskoye offensive led troops 6 Corps Marshal Poniatowski. After unsuccessful attempts to take the city by storm, Napoleon ordered to destroy his artillery fire. The city flew clouds cores. The order was executed. The city shone. So far over an altar of the Transfiguration Cathedral window protrudes from the wall nerazorvavšeesâ kernel. During the occupation of Smolensk Napoleon's army in the Chambers of the monastery was a Lazaretto for the sick and wounded. Temples of the invaders have determined under stables. Shortly after the liberation of the city then Archimandrite of the monastery of Paul with brotherhood rebuilding their abode, without a considerable amount from the State Treasury.
    show original
  • Monastery of the attraction called the course difficult. Beautiful baroque shrine, with a small garden in front of him. The temple, or rather the Saviour-Transfiguration Cathedral rebuilt outside, looks fine. Were inside, on the second floor of the Cathedral. No frills, all very modestly but feel there himself somehow easily and well. Explore the temple can be on the road to Eagle Tower. At the time of our visit the dog was missing.
    show original
Nearby Attractions