Trip Planner Europe  /  Russia  /  Central Russia  /  Moscow  /  Religious Sites  /  Simonov Monastery

Simonov Monastery, Moscow

Categories: Sacred & Religious Sites, Tourist Spots
Inspirock Rating:
4.8/5 based on 25+ reviews on the web
Simonov Monastery in Moscow was established in 1370 by monk Feodor, a nephew and disciple of St Sergius of Radonezh.The monastery land formerly belonged to Simeon Khovrin, a boyar of Greek extraction and progenitor of the great clan of Golovins. He took monastic vows in the cloister under the name Simon ; many of his descendants are also buried there. In 1379, the monastery was moved half a mile to the east. Its original location, where bodies of the warriors killed in the Battle of Kulikovo had been buried, is still commemorated by the old Simonov church.During the 15th century, the cloister was the richest in Moscow. Among the learned monks who lived and worked there were Vassian Patrikeyev and Maximus the Greek. A white stone cathedral was erected in 1405; it was later enlarged by order of Ivan the Terrible. As the monastery defended southern approaches to Moscow, it was heavily fortified in the 1640s. The last addition to the complex was a huge multi-storied bell-tower, modelled after Ivan the Great Bell Tower of Moscow Kremlin.The monastery was abolished by the Bolsheviks in 1923, and soon thereafter most of its buildings were demolished to make way for an automobile plant. Surviving structures all date back to the 17th century and include three towers of cannon-like appearance and auxiliary buildings in the Naryshkin baroque style. Recently the Moscow government announced plans for a full-scale reconstruction of the famous cloister.
It couldn't be easier to arrange your visit to Simonov Monastery and many more Moscow attractions: make an itinerary online using Inspirock's Moscow holiday planner.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
going to
read all reviews »
  • Simonov monastery where very friendly and unspoiled area is going through difficult times. In fact, simple it was not. Raids, time of troubles, closing, and finally, the destruction of the 30-ies of the 20 century have left us out of six temples in the name of only one of the Tikhvin icon of the mother of God. There are also three towers and partly destroyed cloisters and buildings. From come to us one third of the monastery now available one twentieth-remains of the necropolis and the lower church. The rest of the landslide in the worst traditions of Moscow. But recently, there could be a walk and speculate where the same was Lysine pond, the establishment of which had a hand Saint Sergius of Radonezh. Community, which handed over the temple especial-here are going deaf and hard of hearing congregants. But in the temple always finds a good soul who will tell you the history of the monastery. See, unfortunately, today can be quite a bit.
    show original
  • Little remains of the famous monastery of 14 century. A piece of wall, Watchtower, Chapel, refectory. What a pity. Old paintings draw us a huge complex. He was replaced by the House of culture ZIL and other buildings from the Soviet era. Specially stopped see but particularly interesting not found.
    show original
  • The monastery was founded as early as in the year 1370, the name got on behalf of Boyar, who owned these lands. In the 16 century, the monastery was rebuilt in stone by becoming a powerful fortress. Since that time not once defended Moscow from attacking invaders, destruction and looting. But as often happened with cult constructions of the greatest losses occurred under Soviet rule: blown up the Bell Tower and the cloisters. Then for a long time there was Kulturpalast Zila and locksmith's shop. Today the monastery returned to the bosom of the Church, is the restoration of the buildings. From former greatness there remained some fragments: part of the wall with two towers, Holy Ghost Church, refectory Chamber and some outbuildings.
    show original
Nearby Attractions
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 2​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 2​h
Visit for 2​h