Trip Planner : Europe / Italy / Lazio / Province of Viterbo / Sutri / Historic Sites / Co-Cathedral of the Assumption of Mary
Co-Cathedral of the Assumption of Mary, Sutri
Categories: Churches, Tourist Spots
Co-Cathedral of the Assumption of Mary is located in Sutri. For Co-Cathedral of the Assumption of Mary and beyond, use our Sutri itinerary planner to get the most from your Sutri vacation.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
ottimo stato di conservazione interessante la visita anche se effettuata in velocità data la stanchezzadel pellegrinaggioexcellent condition visit although made in speed due to the stanchezzadel pilgrimageshow original
Costruita su edifici sacri precedenti, la chiesa attuale risale al 1200. Comunque poco rimane dell'antica chiesa a causa dei rifacimenti in stile barocco che ne hanno alterato la bellezza antica. L'at... read more »Built on previous religious buildings, the current church dates back to 1200. However, little remains of the old church because of Baroque reconstructions that have altered the ancient beauty. The current façade is the result of the interventions of 1600. The first side was equipped with a porch, decorated with mosaics and enriched with marble sculptures, some of which are now kept in the City Museum. Today we find a Baroque portico, and a portal with a polychrome decoration and white marble inlays. The Bell Tower is perhaps one of the few remnants of the medieval church, dates back to the year milleed was originally separated from the rest of the Church. The Interior has three naves separated by pillars, with three chapels on each aisle. Of the medieval church remains the beautiful floor and a pair of Imperial Roman pillars embedded in two pillars close to the presbytery. Beautiful frescoes on the vault of the nave are of late 1800. Interesting the crucifix and the sixteenth-century ciborium kept in chapels near the apse. In the side chapels are found canvases of 1600-1700. In the crypt are Roman marble columns and capitals of different eras, Lombard Romanesque, Byzantine, Lombard and a tomb. Interesting organ in against the façade.show original
La chiesa presenta all'esterno (ma soprattutto all'interno) i segni dei vari interventi di ammodernamento. L'esterno colpisce sopratutto per lo slanciato campanile in tufo di color rosso che si scorge... read more »The Church has on the outside (but mostly within) the signs of various modernisation. The exterior is striking for the sleek red Tuff bell tower which can be seen from any angle. The Atrium in the Middle, concave, dates back to the 18th century. Inside are worth seeing some "relics of the middle ages: in a chapel in the left aisle Byzantine table with Christ seated on a throne, painted on fabric (XIII century); always the last pillar along the left aisle toward the altar preserves a fluted column topped by a Corinthian capital reused in medieval church (and later incorporated in the current pillars); the floor of the church retains its original polychrome marquetry in Central in cosmatesque style; Finally the stunning Lombard crypt below the altar with various capitals resting on columns with different material (shame about the times in cement that disfigure the collection).show original
Unable to display map at this time. Please try again later.
Are you the owner of this business? Click here for promotion tips.