Oratorio del Santissimo Crocifisso, Rome
Categories: Landmarks, Tourist Spots
The Oratorio del Santissimo Crocifisso or the Oratory of the Most Holy Crucifix is a building in central Rome, Italy. Located next to the church of San Marcello al Corso, it served as a prayer hall and meeting house for the Confraternita del SS. Crocifisso. It is best known, like the Oratorio del Gonfalone, which shares the same artists, for its Mannerist decorations.The structure was built by Giacomo Della Porta in 1568, near the church of San Marcello, for the Confraternity of Crucifix, founded to venerate the Crucifix (crocefisso) from the nearby church. The confraternity was composed of some of the richest men in Rome, including the cardinals Ranuccio and Alessandro Farnese, nephews of the Pope. The theme of the interior decoration is the Triumph of the Cross. It employed Giovanni de' Vecchi, Cesare Nebbia, Niccolò Circignani, and Cristoforo Roncalli.It was also host of musical concerts, starting in 1639, when the first performances of fifteen musical oratorios by Giacomo Carissimi and Emilio de' Cavalieri occurred here.To visit Oratorio del Santissimo Crocifisso on your holiday in Rome, and find out what else Rome has to offer, use our Rome itinerary builder.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
Vicino al quirinale si può ammirare questo piccolo oratorio con all'interno affreschi di Pomarancio e di Nabbia. Molto bella la facciata esterna.Near the quirinale one can admire this small chapel with frescoes by Pomarancio and Nabbia. Very nice the exterior façade.show original
Alle pendici del Quirinale, questo piccolo oratorio a navata unica è una interessante testimonianza della cultura e dell'arte manierista a Roma. Realizzato nel XVI secolo, presenta alle pareti un cicl... read more »On the slopes of the Quirinal, this small chapel nave is an interesting account of the Mannerist culture and art in Rome. Built in the XVI century, has frescoes on the walls made by the most important painters of the time, including il Pomarancio and Cesare Nebbia, as well as an atmosphere of peace and quiet, cool in the summer, moved only in hours of prayer by prayers of the sisters entrusted. Interesting, although retrospectively, the wooden ceiling and the choir with the pipe organ. Church service at 7 in the morning.show original
A poca distanza da piazza Ss Apostoli , da Piazza Venezia e via del Corso e dalla fontana di Trevi sorge un monumento religioso sconosciuto ai piu' , nascosto anche se da' il nome alla piazzetta in cu... read more »Not far from piazza Santi Apostoli, Piazza Venezia and via del Corso and the Trevi fountain is an unknown to most religious monument, concealed though it gives the name to the square where it stands. The Oratorio del SS. Crocifisso, located in piazza dell'oratorio, is certainly an exceptional testimony to the cultural and artistic environment of the sixteenth century. It is the seat of the confraternity of Crucifix, which was approved by Clement VII in 1526, decided to build a new oratory and entrusted the construction by the architect Giacomo della Porta, who completed the work thanks to grants of Cardinals Farnese, with the prestigious frescoes that adorn the walls at the hands of 1578, Tommaso de ' Cavalieri and Muziano. The work was attended by more Mannerist painters working in Rome in the late 16th century: Giovanni de Vecchi, il Pomarancio, Cesare Nebbia. On the altar is a copy of the miraculous crucifix of San Marcello al Corso.show original
Just stunning little hide away
Fernando Cabezas MarínIt is tiny but beautifulshow original
Unable to display map at this time. Please try again later.
Are you the owner of this business? Click here for promotion tips.