Trip Planner Europe  /  Italy  /  Lazio  /  Rome  /  Historic Sites  /  Basilica Di San Bartolomeo all'Isola

Basilica Di San Bartolomeo all'Isola, Rome

Categories: Churches, Tourist Spots
Inspirock Rating:
4.2/5 based on 55+ reviews on the web
Basilica Di San Bartolomeo all'Isola is located in Rome. With our international travel planner, Rome attractions like Basilica Di San Bartolomeo all'Isola can be center stage of your vacation plans, and you can find out about other attractions like it, unlike it, near it, and miles away.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
going to
read all reviews »
  • The Basilica of St. Bartholomew is located in Isola Tiberina. The area, considered together with the Palatine part of original Centre of the city of Rome, is located between Trastevere and the old Jewish quarter (ghetto). The same site in the Roman Empire there was a temple dedicated to the Greek Asclepius, God of medicine for the sick and medical: continuous destination of those who went to implore the healing. Around the year 1000 (according to the punctilious Prussian historian Ferdinand Gregorovius: in 997) the Emperor and King of Germany Otto III built the Church to accommodate the remains of the martyrs Saint Bartholomew the Apostle and Saint Adalbert, Bishop of Prague. (The latter killed the early 997 while a work of evangelization in the extreme northern border of Europe). The relics of St. Bartholomew are kept in the Roman tub in red porphyry, which is located below the high altar. In the porch is an inscription which recalls the restoration commissioned by Pope Paschal II in 1113. The next dates back to 1180. While in 1284 Pope Martin IV does add a rich canopied altar of porphyry; Unfortunately it was destroyed in the subsequent restorations. Same fate for the valuable mosaics that adorned the façade and the same religious building: destroyed by the disastrous flood of the Tiber of 1557. In 1583 the basilica was rebuilt using part of the Baroque architect Martino Longhi the elder (also Designer of the Palazzo Valentini, the seat of the province of Rome). Some experts attribute the ciborium with four porphyry columns. Others would have contributed to the realization of the classical Roman Baroque façade; and reconstruction of the right aisle. The last restoration of the basilica dates back to 1852, launched at the initiative of Pope Pius IX Mastai Ferretti. The façade has three arched entrances at the bottom; While the upper part is characterized by a succession of arches, niches and Windows, surmounted by a large pediment. On the left of the façade stands a beautiful bell tower built in 1113, in which stand out in vertical succession, mullioned Windows. The interior features a raised transept and apse and is divided into three naves by two rows of ancient columns, retrieve almost certainly from pre-existing Roman monuments on the island. Among the many paintings, to be observed with particular emphasis on "San Carlo Borromeo" (at the bottom of the apse); and the frescoes in the chapel of the crucifix ". Works of the painter Roman Antonio Carracci; famous landscape architect, and style referred to the great bolognese Guido Reni. Also of interest is the canvas depicting the martyrdom of St Bartholomew, built in 1806 by the palermitano Francesco Manno. Since 1993, the basilica has been entrusted to the community of Sant'Egidio, invoking the universality of the Christian Church has become the main feature of the basilica. This is confirmed by the large painting in the central altar; and the six side chapels. In each are remembered, even through their "relics", numerous "witnesses to the faith". In memory of the martyrs slaughtered--in the twentieth century and in the early 2000s in several areas of the five continents. Including some victims of dictatorships of the right and left, who did not want to renounce the principles of their faith. Some facts about basilica ...-on the left wall, there is a cannon ball, which during the French siege of Rome in 1849 hits Church crowded with worshippers. No one is injured so ... believed to be miraculous, is walled up in the spot where she fell. -In front of the steps of the transept, don't miss one of the most important historical and artistic heritage: the pit. Gospel, symbol was originally a section of the stem of an ancient column, dating back to Roman imperial history. In the parapet sculptor and architect Nicola D'Angelo (Nicolaus de Angelo, active mainly in Rome and Lazio in the second half of the 12th century) has created a series of kiosks divided by three spiral columns inside which are represented St. Bartholomew and St. Paulinus of Nola, Jesus and the Emperor and King of Germany Otto III. With a bit of attention on the shore (puteale) of the well reads the inscription "let anyone who is thirsty come at source and draw a SIP of health." (According to tradition the well will be located in the same spot where it was located in the Temple of aesculapius. From the source, sacred to God, came out miraculous water). -The current "Chapel of the crucifix" previously had belonged to the Congregation of "male". He remembers a plaque on the wall to the left past the entrance, which reproduces one of the floating mills. (Active for many centuries on the banks of the Tiber and near the Tiber Island, were permanently deleted after the great flood of 1870). and ... on the square in front of the ancient temple of Aesculapius:-some fragments are preserved in the garden of the convent, to the right of the facade. -The building to the left of the basilica is the Franciscan monastery, converted into various eras in hospice for old or poor Jews near Ghetto. In the years 1943/44, during the deportation of the Roman Jews in the death camps and the Nazi occupation of Rome, had become a place of refuge for the survivors from the raids. -The tradition of the island as a place of care continues after the destruction of the Temple of Asclepius. In the 16th century a hospital run by the Congregation of St. John of God ":" Fatebenefratelli ". Nickname that derives from its founder, St. John of God. Because the Portuguese friar, who moved to Spain, the streets of Granada and in front of the hospital he had organised himself, he used to ask passers by repeating the assertion: "do right, brothers!". -On the side next to the basilica is still running the old pharmacy. Has a collection of beautiful vases, made payable to medicinal plants and rare medicinal substances. -Almost in the middle of the square there is a monument with a square base commissioned in 1869 by Pope Pius IX to the prolific Roman sculptor Ignazio Jacometti. In the four sides, within as many niches, are carved the statues of Saints Bartholomew, Francis of Assisi, Paulinus of Nola and John of God. Gloss finish. With the entrustment to the community of Sant'Egidio, in line with the philanthropic goals of the famous institution, the Church has become headquarters for meetings and discussions between representatives of the various Christian churches and believers and non-worldwide.
    show original
  • Beautiful and interesting Church. When I visited was having mass, with children's choir of the parish next. It was really a "local" experience. And still has the relics of the apostle.
    show original
  • We came across this minor Basilica of St Bartholomew on the Island, which is located on Isola Tiberina adjacent to Ponte Fabricio, on our way to Trastevere. It contains the relics of St Bartholomew th...  read more »
  • This is a small church by Roman standards. The church has some interesting paintings and good mosaic work if you are interested. As a monument not a must see. I joined a tour in front of this church and that is how got to visit it.
  • Love Tiber Island....beautiful Church
  • Nice peaceful church away from the hustle of the city
  • can't visit the church
  • Beautiful beautiful beautiful
    show original
Nearby Attractions
Visit for 1​h
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 4​h
Visit for 2​h
Visit for 2​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h