Rocca Albornoziana, Forlimpopoli

Categories: Landmarks, Tourist Spots
Inspirock Rating:
5/5 based on 25 reviews on the web
Rocca Albornoziana is located in Forlimpopoli. Arrange to visit Rocca Albornoziana and other attractions in Forlimpopoli using our Forlimpopoli itinerary maker.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
going to
read all reviews »
  • Interesting structure is the fortress of Forlimpopoli also known as rocca albornoziana, to remember who ordered the construction, the building overlooks the today's Piazza Garibaldi and easily accessible. The fortress was e-adjusted map over the years between 1360 and 1365 by Cardinal Egidio Albornoz, cardinal who received from the Pope the charge to regain the lands of Romagna. Actually in Forlimpopoli, well before the arrival of the army led by Albornoz, there existed a fortification guarding the city walls. The Ordelaffi, Lords of the city, in 1356 they did restore and strengthen the fortifications, but in 1360 the Papal army after a long siege, razed nearly the entire city, as the cardinal allowed the soldiers to loot the homes and pillage and kill the inhabitants. The fortress was immediately rebuilt on the foundations of previous, including existing buildings, as the old church which served as a cathedral. The structure was completed in a few years, in 1371 is already nominated for la rocca Salvaterra in the report "Descriptio provinciæ Romandiolæ", edited by Cardinal Anglico de Grimoard. The City returned under the rule of Sinibaldo Ordelaffi and decided to reinforce the building. After several passages the rocca became property of the municipality. The building has a square shape, comes with 4 circular bastions places in each of the corners. The southern curtain is reinforced by the donjon which safeguards the entrance below. Originally, to strengthen the positions upon entry, was erected a ravelin which reinforce access to the fortress. The ravelin is destroyed with time and today no trace remains. The two towers that look East have circular, archaeological excavations have shown that originally had transformed a circular and polygonal shape towards the middle of the fifteenth century. Today the Fort is home to major institutions, such as the archaeological museum and the Teatro Verdi (where he was with his men the brigand Stefano Pelloni to sequester them citizenship gathered in order to gather all). In the summer, the courtyard hosts cultural events and important musical events.
    show original
  • Is a beautiful and well maintained. Certainly the nicest thing about Forlimpopoli that it doesn't really offer anything much apart from this castle. To visit if you are around
    show original
  • Is located facing the plaza principal of the village. Most central impossible. Thursday there is a flea market in the surrounding area. In the courtyard had a summer cinema where to put classics of Italian cinema. In the courtyard there is also access to the archaeological museum, which opens only on weekends. In the castle there are the Town Hall offices. Not is very large but reflects quite well as are the castles of the area.
    show original
Nearby Attractions
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 30​m
Visit for 4​h
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 2​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h 30​m