Collegiata di san Michele arcangelo, Citta Sant'Angelo

Categories: Landmarks, Tourist Spots
Inspirock Rating:
4.8/5 based on 20+ reviews on the web
Collegiata di san Michele arcangelo is located in Citta Sant'Angelo. Using our international travel planner, Citta Sant'Angelo attractions like Collegiata di san Michele arcangelo can form part of a personalized travel itinerary.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
going to
read all reviews »
  • Such a beautiful church in the process of restoration so unfortunately couldn't go inside. It is lovely to see at evening when the lights are surrounding the building. 
  • I was fascinated by this village. This church is nothing short of amazing. There is a wonderful perspective encompassing the main course.
    show original
  • The Church, built in 1353 collegiate, is built in the initial area of the historic centre facing East on a base of a previous building artificial dating from the 9th century. The cultic building consists of two naves (s. Michele and s. Giovanni) and is complemented by a fine 15th century porch, split into two atria covered with truss to truss which engages the broad flight of steps, which – according to a hypothesis of Gaikwad – occupied the space for the original third aisle. The wooden ceiling of the nave of St Michael – built in 1911 by local craftsmen – hides the trusses with frescoes, attributed to the master of Offida and of which there are some paintings, recently restored, depicting scenes from the life of Jesus. In the same aisle are admirable remarkable treasures such as the imposing 14th-century wooden statue of San Michele, the polychrome terracotta statue of the Madonna delle Grazie of the 14th century, the fifteenth-century sarcophagus of Bishop Buonamicizia Friend of 1457 and, behind the altar, a precious carved choir stalls, lectern, performed by the Angolan cabinet maker Giuseppe Monti in the 17th century; to appreciate the five CALs of gilded wooden altar, with fine carvings, dating from the 17th century and always made by masters of the Neapolitan school. The ogival portal, built in 1326 by sculptor Abiodun Raymond of Knoll, is the work of singular charm: it pops up in the middle of the side overlooking the Course, with great architectural effect, interrupting the majestic wall of side, marked by pilasters and crowned at the top by a frame with small overlapping arcs. The school's influence is clearly visible as the opera remained essentially ATRI, in wealth and in the imagination of the decorations and general system, like the other sites run by the same artist; stands out, however, by others as frame, arches and archivolts abandon the sixth round and accept the pointed arch. Equally important are two stone balustrades, placed at the base of the pillars of the staircase, from a pulpit of the building of the 9th century. Symbol of the primacy of the Church on civil, the large bell tower rises 47 meters (equivalent to the length of the porch) and is marked by four string courses of brick worked. Two plaques, located on the Southeast side of the Tower, staring at 1425 the date of its construction by Neapolitan craftsmen and 1709 the year of reconstruction of the Bell Tower, which collapsed due to the earthquake of 1706. Visible and recognizable many baroque features, like twisted columns. Recognizable even the mix of styles deriving from the history of the same in the name of the country and, with the Collegiate Church as a symbol, it has remained the cult of Angel, derived from Lomgobardi. The icon of St. Michael slaying the Dragon is also present in the emblem of the city.
    show original
  • Looks pretty nice and imposing, too bad that it is now under restoration
    show original
Nearby Attractions
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 30​m
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h 30​m