Museo Archeologico Provinciale Francesco Ribezzo, Brindisi

Categories: History Museums, Specialty Museums, Museums
Inspirock Rating:
4.3/5 based on 55+ reviews on the web
Museo Archeologico Provinciale Francesco Ribezzo is located in Brindisi. Use our Brindisi itinerary maker to arrange your visit to Museo Archeologico Provinciale Francesco Ribezzo and other attractions in Brindisi.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
going to
read all reviews »
  • Established in 1884 in the Town Hall of the Temple of San Giovanni al Sepolcro by Giovanni Tarantini, the Archaeological Museum of Brindisi rallied initially donations of some local collectors and the materials found by excavations citizens. The Museum soon assumed the role of the cultural center of the city, thanks to a group of young intellectuals, the so-called "Brigade of amateurs of art", led by Pasquale Cabral, which by 1911 he was appointed Honorary Director of the Museum. Already at the beginning of the twentieth century, the Temple of s. Giovanni al Sepolcro is insufficient to contain numerous artifacts returned from the excavations and you felt the need to design a building. In 1934, the provincia di Brindisi formula to the Superintendent's proposal to build a new site of the Museum, on land taken from the demolition of the homes that insisted around the Temple of s. Giovanni al Sepolcro. Contextually designed, in piazza Duomo, on the ground of the dilapidated hospital, the construction of the Palace of culture will host the provincial library and the Provveditorato agli Studi. During excavation of the area, were found significant archaeological evidence, which were documented by the advocate Gabriele Marzano, Honorary Inspector of the Ministry of education, which has the merit of having proposed in 1952 the institution of the provincial Archaeological Museum, in a wing of the building under construction. In 1954, completed jobs, the same Marzano was appointed Honorary Director of the Museum, a position he held until 1980. The events that have marked the formation of the Museum were necessarily related to the research and studies which, from the beginning of the last century have affected the city of Brindisi and their territory. The archaeological collection has known, especially since the late 1970s, an extraordinary increase, thanks to the systematic excavations which led to the gradual discovery of Roman insula of San Pietro degli Schiavoni, domus di San Giovanni al Sepolcro, necropoli di via Cappuccini, that of Grand architectural elements (pottery, coins and sculpture) joined the Heritage Museum. The ambition of the Museum was, from the very beginning, to identify with the city and its territory, promoting cultural activities and at the same time acting as a sensitive thermometer to measure the degree of sensitivity and culture of the city. Since 1971, in agreement with the archaeological Superintendence of Puglia, the Museum, thanks to the intuition of dr.ssa Benita Sciarra, he turned his interest in underwater archaeological research. Were therefore carried out underwater archaeological exploration along the coast of Brindisi, from Egnatia in Torre San Gennaro, who returned copious archaeological material: ceramic, stumps still lead, stone anchors, bronze artifacts. In the early 1980s, moving into other arenas of the provincial library and the Provveditorato agli Studi, made possible the expansion of the Museum and a new staging of exhibition halls, meeting demand of exhibiting the artifacts in the collection Maduro bought by heir in 1988 and the numerous finds came from the sea. II Museum's heritage is thus greatly enriched, especially following the discovery of Punta del Serrone Bronzes in the summer of 1992. Over time, in order to improve the relationship with citizens, the Museum has become a new and different expressions of art and culture, through the connection with others present on the territory. For this reason the project came about "kid-friendly Museum II", which, in collaboration with all local schools, aims to train miniguide National week of culture. In 2009, the Museum reopened to the public in a museological and museographic new, innovative, with a museum that offers prospects of historical interpretation and more modern and attractive exposure modes, allowing for changes and new proposals, as a result of the continuation of excavations and archaeological studies.
    show original
  • Beautiful Museum, right in the porch the visitor can admire archeological material, Stele, sarcophagus and capitals inside we can admire in various rooms, ceramic materials, bronzes, Terracottas, Lucerne beautiful, wide repertoire of Stelae, statues and coins., inscriptions in Hebrew. Not to be missed.
    show original
  • In museums they visited many, but this impressed me for the beauty of objects! A museum groomed not to Miss
    show original
  • I found very nice and interesting Museum. Children stay free and the staff is very friendly. Beautiful the bronzes room. 5 euro per adult.
    show original
Nearby Attractions
Visit for 1​h
Visit for 2​h 30​m
Visit for 4​h
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 3​h