Trip Planner Europe  /  Italy  /  Puglia  /  Province of Brindisi  /  Brindisi  /  Historic Sites  /  Castello Svevo di Brindisi

Castello Svevo di Brindisi, Brindisi

Categories: Castles, Tourist Spots
Inspirock Rating:
3.1/5 based on 45+ reviews on the web
Castello Svevo di Brindisi is located in Brindisi. A visit to Castello Svevo di Brindisi represents just the start of the adventure when you use our Brindisi vacation builder to plot your vacation.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
going to
read all reviews »
  • The oldest Castle and important for the city and ' Svevo Castle, also called "of the Earth" (to distinguish it from the aragonese or "by the sea"). He was wanted in 1227 by Frederick II as a fortified residence and its garrison (Saracen soldiers and the Teutonic Knights) as protection against the hostility of the people of Brindisi were loyal to the Normans and who resented the Swabians, against whom frequently rebelled. For its construction were used materials from the old walls and monuments in ruins; you set originally in trapezoidal shape, like those of Bari and Trani. West side between two cylindrical towers, reset in the Angevin period, was made the Dungeon or Donjon, where on the ground floor there was the entrance to the fortress. To the East and in the Middle, between the other two square towers, was set a pentagonal tower. A rampart was built in 1488 by the Aragonese, which surrounded the trackside part of the Castle, so was preserved the core original Swabian. The new boundary wall, lowest of the Swabian, towers was reinforced by four round towers (bastions) that best meet the standards of military architecture of the time, also considered the appearance of firearms. A new, larger moat was dug and opened a new entrance from the West. The Swabian moat was covered by vaults and were thus created of interiors and yards around the core of Frederick II. In one of these rooms, the one located just beyond the entrance to the Castle, once you pass the bridge over the moat and before entering the courtyard (arms square), houses a epigraph that shows the inscription on the expansion of the Castle by Ferdinand of Aragon. The arc of the corridor that leads to the square of arms Hall stands the Angevin chain that served to close the entrance to the inner harbour in the 14th century. Other changes were made in 1526 by Giovani Battista Pignatelli and in 1530 by Ferdinand by Alarcon, in order to ensure the most effective defense, with the raising of the parapets and the realization of Levant and the Bulwark of the Bell on the sea side, be weaker during the siege of 1528. Abandoned by the Spaniards, was turned into a penitentiary by Joachim Murat in 1813 and, from 1909, is used by the Navy as a torpedo boat station and the following year was activated in command of submarines. Here, from 1916, the flotilla had an important reference. The castle was also used as an important naval base in the two wars he was in 1943, mondial; hosted King Victor Emmanuel III and command functions were displaced during the period when Brindisi was the capital of Italy (9/10/1943-2/11/1944). To visit absolutely.
    show original
  • A beautiful castle overlooking the harbor not usable is pure madness! Inside one can see elevations on a tower with roller shutters. Illegal here! For the people of Brindisi is a missed opportunity, what a pity.
    show original
  • Magnificent Castle-fortress, located in the middle of the sea as if it were suspended over the water, deliberately built at that location from which is visible entirely access to the port. Tourism is well worth a visit, though not always found. Inside is a little bare, but the building itself is really beautiful, the photographs will be memorable
    show original
Nearby Attractions
Visit for 1​h
Visit for 2​h 30​m
Visit for 4​h
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 1​h 30​m
Visit for 3​h