Trip Planner Europe  /  Italy  /  Liguria  /  Italian Riviera  /  Bordighera  /  Religious Sites  /  Chiesa di Sant'Ampelio

Chiesa di Sant'Ampelio, Bordighera

Categories: Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches, Tourist Spots
Inspirock Rating:
4.5/5 based on 100+ reviews on the web
Chiesa di Sant'Ampelio is located in Bordighera. Make Chiesa di Sant'Ampelio part of your personalized Bordighera itinerary using our Bordighera trip generator.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
going to
read all reviews »
  • This church is beautiful, at his feet there is the sea. The place is very nice the day under the Sun, but even more beautiful at night because the illuminations the monument gives an atmosphere of mystery.
    show original
  • At the end of the lungomare is set this small church. Definitely worth a look in. Authentic ancient walls are still visible. It is a charming small church and very typical.
    show original
  • Suspended over the sea on her head nicer Bordighera a charming spot at the recent excavations in the crypt with even more impressive
    show original
  • A very suggestive corner of Bordighera, with very clean water and several points where to get into the sea, although in summer there are areas quite slippery
    show original
  • Church located at the edge of a cliff, very quaint.
    show original
  • The 11th century church with a crypt Church Sant'Ampelio striking the cliff where ancient settlement.
    show original
  • Traduzione italiana after the English section The church of St. Ampelio is a lovely Romanesque building perched on a small cliff in Bordighera. The legend says that St Ampelio used to live in the desert of the Thebaid (Egypt) and work as a blacksmith. Tempted by the Devil, he drove him away wielding a red-hot iron and for this reason, as a gift from God, he became insensitive to burns. He is now the patron saint of blacksmiths. St Ampelio Bordighera moved to to lead a hermit's life, and took refuge in a cave among the rocks of the promontory, where the Benedictine monks later built the church to house his remains. In 1140, however, St Ampelio's relics were moved to the convent of the Olivetan monks in Sanremo, and on May 14, 1258, Archbishop Gaur ordered to move them again in the convent of St. Stephen, in Genoa. St Ampelio's body was taken back to Bordighera on August 16, 1947 and is now kept in the parish of St. Mary Magdalene in the historic center. The Romanesque church was built in the eleventh century, but many features that we can currently see are actually due to major remodeling at the end of the nineteenth century (the old perimeter walls were covered with white stone from la Turbie and the bell tower was built.) Other major restoration works were then made in 1947 when the body of the saint was taken back to the city. As a note of curiosity, it seems that St Ampelio brought kernels dates when he moved from Egypt. These kernels donated so many palm trees to Bordighera that the city became famous as the "Queen of the Palms." Sant'Ampelio Church is a Romanesque building perched on the promontory of Bordighera. Legend has it that the devil cast out Sant'Ampelio wielding a red-hot iron and for this he received as a gift from God to be insensitive to Burns (the patron saint of blacksmiths-Fareed). Ampelio, from the desert of the Thebaid in Egypt, he retired in Bordighera to lead a hermit's life, and took refuge in a cave in the rocks of the promontory, where, later, the Benedictine monks built the Church to House his remains. In 1140 the relics of St Ampelio were moved to the monastery of the Olivetan monks, and 14 April 1258, Archbishop Walter ne dispose further displacement at the convent of Santo Stefano in Genoa. Only the 16 of August 1947 the body of St Ampelio was reported in the town of Bordighera (of which he is the patron) and is kept in the parish church of St. Mary Magdalene in the town centre. The building, in Romanesque style, dating back to the 11th century, but at the end of the 19th century were carried out important restoration works (including coverage of the ancient walls with white stone of La Turbie and the construction of the Bell Tower). Other major renovations were completed in 1947, when the Saint's body brought back to vennè city. As a note of curiosity, it seems that brought with it the Sant'Ampelio Egypt date kernels and right they owe many who donated to Bordighera exotic connotations so much that earned him the nickname "Queen of the Palms".
    show original
Nearby Attractions