Wiblingen Abbey, Ulm
Categories: Landmarks, Tourist Spots
Wiblingen Abbey was a former Benedictine abbey which was later used as barracks. Today its buildings house several departments of the medical faculty of the University of Ulm. The former abbey is located south of the confluence of the rivers Danube and Iller, south of the city of Ulm in the German state of Baden-Württemberg. Administratively, the former independent village of Wiblingen now belongs to the city of Ulm. The abbey is part of the Upper Swabian Baroque Route.HistoryFrom the foundation to 1701Wiblingen Abbey was founded in 1093 by the counts Hartmann and Otto von Kirchberg. The counts offered monks of St. Blaise's Abbey in the Black Forest lands near the river Iller, which the monks used to found a filial institution. In 1099, the first buildings were consecrated. The first abbot was Werner von Ellerbach. In the same year, the founding counts offered the abbey a splinter of the Holy Cross which they had acquired during their participation in the First Crusade.During the High and the Late Middle Ages Wiblingen Abbey was famous for its scholarship and learning as well as being a place of exemplary monastic discipline due its strict adherence to the rule of St. Benedict. In 1504, the Benedictine Abbey and its dependent villages came under the sovereignty of the House of Austria and was to be from then on part of Further Austria until 1806.To visit Wiblingen Abbey and other attractions in Ulm, use our Ulm travel itinerary maker.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
Vale la pena di visitare questo complesso a pochi km dal paese di Ulm Consiglio di visitare anche l'attigua bibliotecaIt is worth visiting this complex a few kilometres from the town of Ulm visit rent also libraryshow original
We were there on a wedding recently. It is really lovely. I can imagine it is more beautiful, when it´s sunny and rainless, but even if not, it was worth visiting. The venue is also perfect for open-a... read more »
Прекрасное барокко,высокое искусство.Неповторимое и единственное в своем роде.Великолепно и вдохновенно!!Wonderful Baroque, art. Unique and one-of-a-kind. Exceptional and inspired!show original
Joao Cesar Escossia
This library, completed in 1744, was modeled in the Baroque style after the Austrian National Library, but it is by no means just a cheap imitation of the original, and it certainly stands on its own. Just outside the library there is an inscription reading “In quo omnes thesauri sapientiae et scientiae,” which translates to “In which are stored all treasures of knowledge and science.”
Elena Marie MeyerFormer Benedictine Abbey in the Baroque style with the Church in the Center and four surrounding wings, as well as an impressive two-storey library Hall in Rococo style in the triangle between the river Iller and Danube in the 18th century on symmetrical floor plan.show original
Marc KnittelVery nice from the insideshow original
Unable to display map at this time. Please try again later.
Are you the owner of this business? Click here for promotion tips.