NS Documentation Centre of the City of Cologne, Cologne

4.4
#3 of 27 in Museums in Cologne
At NS Documentation Centre of the City of Cologne, you can pay tribute to the victims of Nazi atrocities at Cologne's former Gestapo headquarters. The prisoners and victims who were here wrote the more than 1,800 epitaphs and inscriptions on the prison's walls. Don't miss the exhibit documenting the city's own experience under Nazism. To visit NS Documentation Centre of the City of Cologne on your holiday in Cologne, and find out what else Cologne has to offer, use our Cologne.
Improve this listing »
Create an itinerary including NS Documentation Centre of the City of Cologne

NS Documentation Centre of the City of Cologne reviews

Rate this attraction
TripAdvisor traveler rating
TripAdvisor traveler rating 4.5
1,376 reviews
Google
4.4
TripAdvisor
  • The NS Documentation Museum should be avoided on a trip to Cologne if you are not a German speaker and even if you are, do not prioritise this museum. The special exhibit was good, however it's...  more »
  • Interesting museum, definitely get the audio guide as not many of the texts are translated into English.  more »
  • Since this was the Gestapo headquarters I had expected a tour which talked about the Gestapo and how they worked. This is only briefly mentioned. The information is mostly about the policies of the.....  more »
Google
  • A creepy building that has witnessed many tragedies. It is a pity that a lot of the written explanations are only in german. But I suppose that you can find guided tours in your own language. When I was there there were many students with teachers/speakers, so it seems that the place is very active in this regard. I would not recommend the visit if you are already feeling depressed.
  • Great museum with an insane amount of information and media. I like the arrangement throughout the different rooms, and the atmosphere, as the original walls, floor, and the entire building structure have been preserved. The basement prison and the bunker are impressive, with plenty of food for thought. The entry ticket is 4.50€, and the lockers (for backpacks and coats) are free of charge. Kudos to the friendly and helpful personnel! Absolutely recommended.
  • Very simple interpretation but hugely impactful all the same. Eery walking through cells where peoples were kept. Everyone should go here and remember what we humans are capable of so we don't forget the drip drip drip rise to power of tyrants.
  • Scarily fascinating the rise of Nazism, do give yourself alot of time if you wish to fully listen to the information in the chosen language on the dictaphones offered (charge apply). This I do very much recommend you use, only disappointment was not shown how to use them by staff.
  • We always wanted to visit Germany. This year we had the chance to start by Cologne. We decided to learn a bit more about the country's history. However, we had an awful experience since only 20% of the center has a translation to English. the other 80% are written in German. Something to upgrade I guess

Plan your trip to Cologne

  • Get a personalized trip
    A complete day by day itinerary
    based on your preferences
  • Customize it
    Refine your trip. We'll find the
    best routes and schedules
  • Book it
    Choose from the best hotels
    and activities. Up to 50% off
  • Manage it
    Everything in one place.
    Everyone on the same page.