Trip Planner : Europe / Austria / Styria / Graz / Religious Sites / Church of Our Lady of Succor (Mariahilferkirche)
Church of Our Lady of Succor (Mariahilferkirche), Graz
Categories: Sacred & Religious Sites, Tourist Spots
Church of Our Lady of Succor (Mariahilferkirche) is located in Graz. With our world travel planner, Graz attractions like Church of Our Lady of Succor (Mariahilferkirche) can be center stage of your vacation plans, and you can find out about other attractions like it, unlike it, near it, and miles away.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
Man muss sich aus der Fußgängerzone etwas entfernen, um diese Kirche zu sehen (ca. 5 Minuten). Ist aber sehenswert!You must leave something out of the pedestrian zone to see this Church (approx. 5 minutes). Is but worth a visit!show original
De twee toren trekken meteen de aandacht. Strak en niet zo overdadig versierd. Van binnen de rust die bij een Franciscanerkerk hoort. Dat is na veel barok geweld ook wel een verademingThe two Tower attract immediate attention. Tight and not so profusely decorated. Inside the calm that came with a Franciscan church. That's after a lot of Baroque violence also known as a breath of fresh airshow original
“Mariahilferkirche” (Mariahilf 6° distretto) La Mariahilferkirche (chiesa di St. Maria ausiliatrice, in italiano), chiamata anche dai viennesi chiesa di Haydn, è una chiesa in stile barocco a 2 campan... read more »"Mariahilferkirche" (Mariahilf 6° district) The Mariahilferkirche (Church of St. Mary help of Christians, in Italian), also known by the Viennese Church of Haydn, is a Baroque church in 2 twin bell towers, in 6° viennese district of Mariahilf Mariahilferstraße, on the corner of Barnabitengasse, at number nr. 14. In front of the church stands the majestic monument to Joseph Haydn. Initially it was created, in 1656, as cemetery Church, St Michael's church cemetery. In 1660, don Celestino Joanelli acquired, donated the famous image of Mariahilf, worshipped by the Viennese, miracles attributed to her. On 19 April 1660, the Prince-Bishop count Philipp Friedrich von Breuner, erected a wooden Chapel, dedicated to the image of Mary, by inserting an original copy of Lucas Cranach (duomo di Innsbruck). Since many pilgrims were attracted by the miraculous image, built by the Barnabites in the years 1668 and 1669, a stone Chapel and a residential building for religious priests. Both buildings were destroyed after the second Turkish siege (1683). But fortunately, the image of Mariahilf was promptly secured from Mesner, in the Church of San Michele, inside the old city. The Church was later rebuilt between 1686 and 1689, by a young Sebastian Carlone and Steinmetz Ambrosius Ferrethi. It was the 14 August 1689 when Leopold Karl von Kollonitsch, consecrated monsignor back to religious worship, reporting the sacred image of Mary on the inside. The restoration work, continued until the year 1711, at the hands of the architect Francesco Jänckl. In 1714 were rebuilt parts of the choir and the nave. The following year, it was the turn of the towers of the West façade (opposite to the current Mariahilferstraße). Between 1721 and 1726, structurally completed 2 towers, copper and carpets decorating the West façade with statues and reliefs. Inside, was a new high altar, designed by Sebastian Haupt and built by the artist Jacob SalzburgerLand Steinmetz Mosel. Between the years 1890 and 1893, the Church was completely restored externally. In the year 1894, he established a new organ Kauffmann. At the end of the restoration work (between 1893 and 1898), Erben Carl Geyling, reported 11 large Windows with stained glass in neo-Baroque style, to their current splendor. The Windows of the left aisle, represent the birth of Christ (1897), Christ salvator mundi and San Carlo Borromeo (1893); on the right side instead, the flight into Egypt (donated by Anna Radeiner and his daughter Amalia in 1898), Saint Joseph with the child (dedicated to Ferdinand and Amalia Edlinger, in 1894), Anne with Mary and St. Teresa and St. Ignatius (donated by the family Adam Kessler, in 1893); lateral corridors, the SS Louis and Barbara (1894); in the chorus, St. Augustine (1894) and St. Leopold (1956); the Gallery of the Trinity (1899). In the crypt of the Church, during the winter months, since 1996 the Vienna Caritas has created a day Center for the homeless. Andrea And Angelashow original
Unable to display map at this time. Please try again later.
Are you the owner of this business? Click here for promotion tips.